Falling in love, out, and back again: the HD600
May 11, 2024 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

codythelucario

Head-Fier
I got the HD600's approximately last year, and I loves these headphones at the store so I impulsively bought it. I've enjoyed sennheiser products, but recently I felt like I have lost my way....

I listen to a lot of rap, hip-hop, pop, electronic type music from modern times, so a lot of sub-bass is necessary to have fun.

I got my head caught in a whirlwind of worry after trying on my friend's Hifiman HE400i. Compared to the hd600, they had high highs, and ever since I compared my headphones to others so much.

I've tried other headphones so far: the DT990 Pro X, AKG k371, and AKG K553 MII. I feel like those headphones are great for what they do and provided the color I needed. However, I was so caught up in this comparison frenzy that I forgot the reason why I tried on the headphones at the store. Basically, I lost my way and started to hate my sennheisers just for one specific detail, risking to spend hundreds of dollars for other gear.

I had to take a step back, and get a break for a couple of weeks away from this comparison frenzy.

Trying all the headphones recommended for sub-bass, I felt like all of them failed to achieve what the HD600 did: make electronic digital sounding vocals sound like a person that's actually singing into a mic as if it's classical/jazz/rock music, no EQ required. The DT990s have achieved it, but it requires heavy EQ to get rid of the piercing high's.

Every other frequency is good, but as background music. I totally forgot this recently, trying to search in pursuit of the "perfect sound" to have the sub-bass present.

I'm falling back in love with the HD600, as they feel like I'm in a concert live with the singer; it feels so intimate now that even the lack of sub-bass and other frequencies feels sufficient now, just in the background playing while the vocals are right up to my ears. These are the best neutral cans in my books, where the vocals are here to the point you can forget about everything else and even then they fill the gaps sufficiently. These cans aren't colored at all, bit I'm starting to see why others love non-colored cans and why the HD600s are a fan favorite

I've decided to keep my HD600. I'm in love again! I will eve say this controversial opinion: they're good for a lot of music, and even hip hop, edm, and pop, if they have good vocals!

May 11, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 8
Those are hard to beat at any price. I've had every Sennheiser except the Orpheus of course (until I win the lottery) and the HD600 is my favorite. Easy to equalize. For thumping sub bass, the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm really get a move on when the song calls for it. Also the new DT770 Pro X limited was nice with some equalizing, but I still prefer the 250 ohm version (it's easy to EQ down the treble peak). My daily driver is the Hifiman HE5xx which is pretty neutral and the fun planar sound, but most of all they're comfort kings like my Sennheiser HD700's. For long days it's worth taking comfort into account.

May 12, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 8
The HD600 (to me !) are the best hd6*** as they change in tone with every different song i play much much more than the hd660s2 hd650 does .
When i had the hd660s2 they sounded the same playing different types of music ...It's like the tone of the headphone never goes away your stuck with it
on the hd600 its different. yes they still have coloured sound but not as much.
Is it too much colouring of the sound i dont like, I'm not sure but i call them 1 trick pony when comparing them

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 8
The HD600 (to me !) are the best hd6*** as they change in tone with every different song i play much much more than the hd660s2 hd650 does .
When i had the hd660s2 they sounded the same playing different types of music ...It's like the tone of the headphone never goes away your stuck with it
on the hd600 its different. yes they still have coloured sound but not as much.
Is it too much colouring of the sound i dont like, I'm not sure but i call them 1 trick pony when comparing them
The 660s2 has the most color in my opinion, maybe the newly released 620. But the hd600s turn any digitalized vocal and make them sound like a real person. No other headphone I tried has been able to recreate this

May 12, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 8
The 660s2 has the most color in my opinion, maybe the newly released 620. But the hd600s turn any digitalized vocal and make them sound like a real person. No other headphone I tried has been able to recreate this
Many Beyers are capable of it, but most Beyers are not mids and vocal focused like HD 600 and multiple pairs have piercing treble. The HD 660S2 does impart too much of it's sound signature to the songs, the HD 650 does to a degree as well; definitely explains why I have such mixed feelings about the 660S2 and HD 650. Probably should just sell off my HD 660S2, HD 660S, and HD 650 and just have the HD 600 as my HD 6xx series headphone despite finding the HD 600 can get a little much in the upper mids at times, I'll just swap to something else when that happens.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #6 of 8
Every once and a while I listen to my HD580s with custom 3d printed grilles. My first "high end audiophile" headphone, since the 595s were a bit lower end.

May 13, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 8
I really loved my old hd595 120ohm version, They fell apart in the end,
Cracks on both sides and the headband snapped so I sent them into sennheiser for repairs thinking they would just install give me a new headband for me but they sent back a brand new pair of hd598 beige and they were so rubbish I sold them straight away. I could'nt beleive how bad those things were!.
At first I didn't like the hd595 so I just plugged them into a source had them running in the background for months then one day i tried them and couldnt belive how good they sounded. Live music was awesome on them had a great drums and kick ... I put thousands of hours on them afterwards.
Then I tried buying a secondhand pair but couldnt find the 120ohms version all were the newer 50ohms version which sounded way worse at higher volume.
nothing like the 120ohms did
I miss my old hd595 120ohms so muchi swear sennheiser heard them and stole them!
:frowning2:

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 8
I miss my old hd595 120ohms so muchi swear sennheiser heard them and stole them!
:frowning2:

I sold my 595 and my PocketAmp V2 to a friend, he used them for 10 years till they fell apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back