Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Nov 26, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #4,816 of 6,488
people here usually get their adapters from ebay or made by @Deyan. btw, were u able to move ur amp to see if it fixed the issue?
Thanks! I've bought from him and will reach out again.\

It actually mostly corrected itself with a little time. And since I've swapped to EML 300b mesh tubes, and rolled various 6SN7s. Absolutely lovely amp. Atrium is still noisy-ish depending on tubes, but it seems like that's a pretty common theme.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #4,817 of 6,488
Thanks! I've bought from him and will reach out again.\

It actually mostly corrected itself with a little time. And since I've swapped to EML 300b mesh tubes, and rolled various 6SN7s. Absolutely lovely amp. Atrium is still noisy-ish depending on tubes, but it seems like that's a pretty common theme.
My Atriums on high impedance using the XLRs have just a little bit of a noise floor and only audible when the music stops. However, mine are pretty much dead silent using the 4.4, which is what Zach at ZMF recommends using.

Have you experimented yet with this lower noise 4.4 output?

Nov 26, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #4,818 of 6,488
My Atriums on high impedance using the XLRs have just a little bit of a noise floor and only audible when the music stops. However, mine are pretty much dead silent using the 4.4, which is what Zach at ZMF recommends using.

Have you experimented yet with this lower noise 4.4 output?
I haven't actually. That's a good idea, though. I'll give that a try. I wasn't aware the 4.4 had lower noise. I did wonder why it has lower output wattage, but I know that was explained somewhere and I just don't remember. I do think Atrium sounded a little better with medium impedance.

I've been exploring various 6SN7 tubes this weekend. So far I have two sets of NOS Tung-Sol, Raytheon, Ken-Rad, and one from Sylvania. Ken-Rad seemingly sounds best, but man they're extremely microphonic. Very ethereal tubes, in a good way. I'm going to get tube damper rings to see if that helps. It's not too bad with Sus and other planars, but with Atrium I can tap my desk firmly and hear it in the driver.

I have a quad matched set of 1940 NOS GEC CV6 on the way that I scored for $280, so I'm super hyped about giving those a try as well.

BTW, I'm pretty sure we're in some of the same TG chats. Either Zeos, Ryan's, or Koji's lol. I'm JD there.

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #4,819 of 6,488
I haven't actually. That's a good idea, though. I'll give that a try. I wasn't aware the 4.4 had lower noise. I did wonder why it has lower output wattage, but I know that was explained somewhere and I just don't remember. I do think Atrium sounded a little better with medium impedance.

I've been exploring various 6SN7 tubes this weekend. So far I have two sets of NOS Tung-Sol, Raytheon, Ken-Rad, and one from Sylvania. Ken-Rad seemingly sounds best, but man they're extremely microphonic. Very ethereal tubes, in a good way. I'm going to get tube damper rings to see if that helps. It's not too bad with Sus and other planars, but with Atrium I can tap my desk firmly and hear it in the driver.

I have a quad matched set of 1940 NOS GEC CV6 on the way that I scored for $280, so I'm super hyped about giving those a try as well.

BTW, I'm pretty sure we're in some of the same TG chats. Either Zeos, Ryan's, or Koji's lol. I'm JD there.
Oh! Nice to officially meet you. Yep, we've run into each other on Ryan's chat for sure. I'm also on GoldenSounds. Definitely check out the 4.4. When I first got my Cayin and was somewhat obsessed about the noise floor moving from ss, I used it most of the time with the Atriums. Although these days I tend to switch back and forth between it and the XLRs.

Also thanks for reminding me I really need to spend more time with the Ken-Rads. When I first put mine in briefly wasn't a huge fan compared to my current RCAs but everyone seems to say they need a fair degree of burn-in first, which I haven't got around to doing yet.

I also noticed the same thing regarding microphonics. My Cayin is in a rack next to my desk so that helps quite a lot but was surprised it went away completely with the insensitive Tungstens - I can even hit the amp directly and hear no ringing at all.

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #4,820 of 6,488
Oh! Nice to officially meet you. Yep, we've run into each other on Ryan's chat for sure. I'm also on GoldenSounds. Definitely check out the 4.4. When I first got my Cayin and was somewhat obsessed about the noise floor moving from ss, I used it most of the time with the Atriums. Although these days I tend to switch back and forth between it and the XLRs.

Also thanks for reminding me I really need to spend more time with the Ken-Rads. When I first put mine in briefly wasn't a huge fan compared to my current RCAs but everyone seems to say they need a fair degree of burn-in first, which I haven't got around to doing yet.

I also noticed the same thing regarding microphonics. My Cayin is in a rack next to my desk so that helps quite a lot but was surprised it went away completely with the insensitive Tungstens - I can even hit the amp directly and hear no ringing at all.
Yep I'm in Golden's as well lol.

I wasn't aware the KRs needed burn-in. Guess I'll have to spend some time with them then.

I have a 12u rack as well under my desk, but I keep the HA-300 sitting on my desk because it's massive and honestly just gorgeous to look at.

Susvara has very little microphonics as well, which makes sense because they're a less sensitive headphone.

I'm really hyped about trying the GEC CV6 quads. Seems like a lot of people here really love CV6s in this amp. Plus it looks really cool with the adapters 😅

Which RCAs? Guessing the grey smoked glass?

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #4,821 of 6,488
Atrium is still noisy-ish depending on tubes, but it seems like that's a pretty common theme.
That might a tube/ power input issue, i don't really get any noise with my atriums, even at the high impedance setting

edit: I'm in Golden's discord lol

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #4,822 of 6,488
That might a tube/ power input issue, i don't really get any noise with my atriums, even at the high impedance setting

edit: I'm in Golden's discord lol
Lol nice. Lots of us probably are 😅

I've tried several tubes now and it still happens. Thanks for giving me another excuse to buy a nice power conditioner though 👀👌

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #4,823 of 6,488

Are you in the tube chat?

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #4,824 of 6,488
Nov 27, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #4,825 of 6,488
Yep I'm in Golden's as well lol.

I wasn't aware the KRs needed burn-in. Guess I'll have to spend some time with them then.

I have a 12u rack as well under my desk, but I keep the HA-300 sitting on my desk because it's massive and honestly just gorgeous to look at.

Susvara has very little microphonics as well, which makes sense because they're a less sensitive headphone.

I'm really hyped about trying the GEC CV6 quads. Seems like a lot of people here really love CV6s in this amp. Plus it looks really cool with the adapters 😅

Which RCAs? Guessing the grey smoked glass?
My RCAs are the 5692 red base. Also curious about the CV6s and likely will try them as some point.

Attachments

• 20231127_174148.jpg
    20231127_174148.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231127_174158.jpg
    20231127_174158.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Nov 28, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #4,826 of 6,488
I had an extra SR Purple fuse sitting around so I decided to put it in the HA-300's power supply, and I don't know why, but it's way less noisy now. With Atrium on medium impedance with the 6.3mm jack, it's nearly dead silent. Even at 100% volume, the noise is faint.

I have no idea why this is making a difference, but it's the difference between lots of static that's audible, and almost none.

Anyone know why?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #4,827 of 6,488
My RCAs are the 5692 red base. Also curious about the CV6s and likely will try them as some point.
Man I can't wait to get a set of Elrog ER300b-Mo to try. The FOMO is real:smile:

There's a new pair too that's over $4k. Crazy lol

Nov 29, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #4,828 of 6,488
Rolled back Psvane CV181T2 to stock Tungsols, and Tungsols lose a lot of air and detail, still have crisp midrange textures and good bass ... so I guess a warmer but a lot less refined sound ... but ...

They do gel with OG Utopia really really well. Somehow on more holographic drivers Utopia sounds a bit disjointed for me, like it loses focus, and Tungsols seem to give Utopia a lot of focus, at the cost of some stage and low level detail. I guess it's a nice bonus to get those tubes stock for Utopia owners to have another useful tool.

They also gel with Elites well, providing crips textures a good low end grunt.

Testing done with ER300B.

Next year I'm venturing into quad terriotory : >

ps. I've read that those Tungsols open up after a few hundred hours. Mine have probably 80h-100h in total so far and they have opened up a bit in the top end, so maybe they will improve over time ... but still, CV181T2 is a different class of sound in general.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #4,829 of 6,488
How many hours could you expect tubes to work?

Nov 29, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #4,830 of 6,488
Rolled back Psvane CV181T2 to stock Tungsols, and Tungsols lose a lot of air and detail, still have crisp midrange textures and good bass ... so I guess a warmer but a lot less refined sound ... but ...

They do gel with OG Utopia really really well. Somehow on more holographic drivers Utopia sounds a bit disjointed for me, like it loses focus, and Tungsols seem to give Utopia a lot of focus, at the cost of some stage and low level detail. I guess it's a nice bonus to get those tubes stock for Utopia owners to have another useful tool.

They also gel with Elites well, providing crips textures a good low end grunt.

Testing done with ER300B.

Next year I'm venturing into quad terriotory : >

ps. I've read that those Tungsols open up after a few hundred hours. Mine have probably 80h-100h in total so far and they have opened up a bit in the top end, so maybe they will improve over time ... but still, CV181T2 is a different class of sound in general.
Life is short, and I would get to those quads asap. :wink: The CV6 is several levels above any of the 6SN7's. You are in for a real treat once you finally get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back