Fir Audio Thread - Discussion and Impressions
May 20, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #6,319 of 6,431
Ok I recommend red modules, and what did you decide on the 1960 swap for FT?
Gonna go ahead and hold on to my FT’s for the time being but I’ll reach out if my interest shifts!

May 20, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #6,321 of 6,431
I'm in a bit of a conundrum as the CODE24 is a great pairing with Xe6 but the ergo is still below average. I can't really use it with unis, but it affects my CIEM bae a little too much, weight wise. I'm considering sticking to Rn6 stock for the time being as the difference in sound vs C24 is not that big but the ergo's fantastic. Fingers crossed the Euclid and Aristotle will allow me to achieve C24's sound with Rn6' stock ergonomics and I'm set. Funny enough my Xe6 get the most usage as of now, only after I've sent the Rn6 for RMA and designated the Raven for desk duties only. I've had them stored for more than 6 months with barely any use. My bad :)

May 20, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #6,322 of 6,431
I've enjoyed the XE6 IEM but have struggled with the right pairing to create audio magic. Well, finally, I've created a pairing/settings that creates an amazing euphoric listening experience, that for me pulls the most out of what the XE6 can offer. My daily driver has been the RN6 with AK SP3k, but the pairing below creates such a unique, powerful and emotive sound that I just can't put down.

Here's the set up:

DAP & Settings:
AKSP3KT, Hybrid tube mode, max out tube setting, max out tube current

XE6: Black module. Protects the sonorous bass, lifts the sub bass a tad, lifts the mid range, provides more air in the mid range so it's cleaner.

Result: Warm, analog sound that is full, powerful, clear, minimal congestion however you have the tubes in the DAP that are a bit gooy'er that Cayin's tube DAPs. It's really hard to describe how you get this characteristic where you have a clear frequency but yet longer decay and smoother sound. It makes for an epic soundscape for more atmospheric music.

The hunt with this IEM, for me, is what this hobby is all about. Tweaking a little of everything to take the experience to the next, and unique levels.

IMG_5093.jpeg
IMG_5095.jpeg
IMG_5095.jpeg
IMG_5093.jpeg
IMG_5093.jpeg

May 20, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #6,323 of 6,431
@tfenton02 Similarly as you I've gone and still going through 'maximizing' xe6 ciem sound performance , seemingly I 've found high power ( turbo -highest gain- on m9+) and analogue source gives the most holographic experience in many combinations

I am waiting to receive a couple silver cables to add that inch more resolution ..

May 20, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #6,324 of 6,431
@tfenton02 Similarly as you I've gone and still going through 'maximizing' xe6 ciem sound performance , seemingly I 've found high power ( turbo -highest gain- on m9+) and analogue source gives the most holographic experience in many combinations

I am waiting to receive a couple silver cables to add that inch more resolution ..
That's my next step, ironically. I have a Dita Celeste silver cable with my Perpetua that I'm going to try tonight with the XE6.

May 20, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #6,325 of 6,431
I'm in a bit of a conundrum as the CODE24 is a great pairing with Xe6 but the ergo is still below average. I can't really use it with unis, but it affects my CIEM bae a little too much, weight wise. I'm considering sticking to Rn6 stock for the time being as the difference in sound vs C24 is not that big but the ergo's fantastic. Fingers crossed the Euclid and Aristotle will allow me to achieve C24's sound with Rn6' stock ergonomics and I'm set. Funny enough my Xe6 get the most usage as of now, only after I've sent the Rn6 for RMA and designated the Raven for desk duties only. I've had them stored for more than 6 months with barely any use. My bad :)
The rn6 cable is a great combination with the xe6 in terms of ergonomics and sound, we really enjoy this combination☺️

May 21, 2024 at 2:48 AM Post #6,326 of 6,431
I visited FiR and Campfire today! Meeting Jessica and @bogdan belonozhko was unreal. (In addition to Ken Ball later this afternoon! I told him you said hi 😁)

The Xe6 blew my mind in that it IS NOT a bass monster. The Rn6 and Kr5 both hit harder. However, the Kr5 is a wholly different and more forward experience.

The Xe6 I could succinctly describe as a warm Rn6 with all of the detail but no possible way to be described as too hot or too forward (as some find the Rn6 with silver module and even red with some reported tip combos). I am very happy to have blind bought the Rn6 on name recognition and faith in the brand. Worth every damn cent. I just wish they had more merch 🤣 (I'll rock my FiR tee till the logo falls off).

While I'm on the Electron tour(havent hit my turn yet), I couldn't help myself and test drove the e12 for about 30 minutes. What this thing can do with a single driver for space, detail, and tonality is amazing. It sounds very roomy like I am accustomed to with the Rn6 and the black module installed.

While it's not pushing Frontier series, kinetic bass, (and is comparably light on bass), it had phenomenal texture. It is also a nice and light package that's comfortable! Very easy recommendation for any Xe6 owner looking for a safer daily for travel/public transport with an alternative signature that's very appealing.

The visit (for both companies) really put into perspective how talent and vision can carry small companies to the forefront of innovation and excellence in hifi!

May 21, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #6,328 of 6,431

The sliver cable ended being a too spicy for me. While it seemed to improve resolution I found it sharpened the high end to a point where "s" "t" on vocals got a little. I'll try code 24 next but still enjoying the stock cable

May 21, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #6,329 of 6,431
Kind of expected , known side of story : with silver . Doesn't surprise me that many III parties cable companies have gone copper route for their flagships

I am waiting 64audio silver core shielded and PW FT/not shielded, very curious at moment after receiving good reports and advice in pm from xe6 users for them

I have been using m9+ over other daps as it has the more favorable ratio between high details and high smoothness , so that even eq'ing sibilance or edgyness is never there .

May 21, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #6,330 of 6,431
I am using atom vents free , partially and directionally closed/taped , most favourable appeal for me ( generally correct timber and vibrancy for body of instruments in classical / most decent air / more then decent holography )

Bass and analogueness in body of notes is 'way ahead' Vs Jewel or Trailli for my needs , .. obviously being audiophile or involved in listenings is not only about bass and analogueness , personal appeal and individual factors are great drivers even for Hi-end products. So it's good to have choice.
Xe6 as an audiophile 'packet' that give choices is not perfect ,..> I didn't find other TOTL iems perfect too. It sure gives nice choices with their very peculiar tuning though

picture of it later

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back