Lear NS-U1 NatroSound's Impression + Discussion
Oct 21, 2015 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Received the NS-U1 yesterday and already gives it a quick burn-in (~10 hours). So here are some pictures, basic measurement and early impression:

NSU1-01.jpg

NS-U1 comes in a big plastic cylinder case with soft silicone inlay

NSU1-02.jpg

Two pair of foam and three pair of silicone eartips.

NSU1-03.jpg

Build quality on the cable is quite solid, though the 3.5mm plug is definitely on the long side.

NSU1-04.jpg

NSU1-05.jpg

NSU1-06.jpg

4 pins cable. Take note on the nozzle, which is actually long. If you look at the two other pictures above, you can see it is almost sticking out of the eartips. Because of this, I have to change to a smaller eartips to get a deeper fit.This could be a potential problem for people with small ear canal.

NSU1-07.jpg

NSU1-08.jpg

Size comparison between the dual dynamics (from left): Audio Technica ATH-CKR10, NS-U1 and JVC HA-FXT208SE (a.k.a. FXT200's limited edition). As you can see, NS-U1 isn't exactly small.

NS-U1-FR.png

Without engaging the NatroSound, the NS-U1 is basically a mild U-shaped sound. Now don't get confused by the blue FR curve that engaging the NatroSoudn will make it much more V-shaped sounding - I actually find it the opposite. NatroSound definitely warm and smooth everything out - however, because of the nature of the technology, which feeds one channel to the opposite channel, trying to measure it via standard one channel technique will yield an incorrect FR curve and that is the case here.

NS-U1-Imp.png

Impedance drops from 30ohm @ 1kHz to about half at 15ohm (as well as across the whole FR) when NatroSound is engaged, which is an good indication that both drivers (in the same ear piece) are wired in parallel.

First thing first - even without using the secondary NatroSound driver, I find the main dynamic driver in itself is very competent. I think it is arguable that a single driver version of NS-U1 would have worth the asking price of HK$1000, so NatroSound is kind of like the cherry on top. The main driver has a mild U-shaped sound, so it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I don't really find anything lacking otherwise. While vocal might not be the sweetest and most intimate ever, it is not lacking texture either. It is a bit further from the listener in the overall presentation, but also gives a good sense of space. Bass is more than adequate in quantity and good in overall quality for both depth and speed. Treble is also quite good - crisp, clear and full of micro-detail. It can however goes slightly bright if you pair it with a cold or analytical source. Slightly warmer source on the other hand is great with it. I listened to it mostly on FiiO X5II and find them go really well with each other.

With the NatroSound turns on, the NS-U1 somewhat transforms to a different sounding IEM. First of, the vocal gets lift closer to the listener and the overall image just feels much fuller - perhaps 'fuller' isn't quite the right word to use. It is like there is more depth and body filling up from the upper bass to the lower treble range (and of course the mid-range), where the lower end of the bass range and the upper range of the treble remains mostly untouched. I compared the NS effect to the electronic crossfeed on iFi micro iCAN and Meier Audio 3MOVE, and I can definitely tell the difference is rather significant. I tend not to be particularly sensitive to crossfeed, but NS on the other hand is quite noticeable. This is especially true if you use NS-U1 to watch movie - the more dynamic and dramatic the music sounds, the more obvious the depth and body NatroSound will add. It will 'warm' the sound up, so to speak.

So does NatroSound makes stereo music less fatigue and smoother overall? I will say 'yes'. So does NatroSound is a must have? Well, that really depends on whether that's what you are looking for. I'll however say that NS-U1 is in itself a solid buy just because of the performance of the main driver alone. If there is any concern about NS-U1, and as I have mentioned above, will be that it isn't a particularly small IEM and I wonder if fitting will be an issue for smaller ears or not. Otherwise, this will be fairly easy IEM to recommend.

A thanks to Lear for the sample.

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 43
Thanks for the review and measurements. You said they are worth the asking price of HK$1000, but that's the backers preorder price. The retail price is actually HD$1688, which is almost 70% more than the backer price. Would you still say it's worth the retail price? Also, did you have to adjust the volume when you switched NS on and off or do they have the same loudness?

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 43
  Thanks for the review and measurements. You said they are worth the asking price of HK$1000, but that's the backers preorder price. The retail price is actually HD$1688, which is almost 70% more than the backer price. Would you still say it's worth the retail price? Also, did you have to adjust the volume when you switched NS on and off or do they have the same loudness?

I'll say HK$1000 is well worth the investment. For HK$1700 or so, it is still an okay investment - neither a giant killer nor a bad buy, consider the stiff competition over the same price range. It could be much more competitive if they can keep the final price below the US$200 mark, in my opinion.

Loudness (or at least the perceived loudness) is definitely not the same with and w/o NS engaged, but I can't give you a precise number because it will require me to buy a SPL calibrator first. However, I don't actually have to adjust the volume between the two settings as the volume difference isn't that big. There is no sudden jump / drop of volume when you are changing the setting, so to speak.

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 43

Thanks for the info!

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #6 of 43
  ClieOS, as I right understood you talked about, "Even if NS1 has one driver (w/o NS) it's still worth of 1000 HKD"

That's pretty much what I have said.

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 43
So. What you can say about NatroSound? I mean, do you impressed? Do you like to watch movies, concerts? How do you think is NatroSound is a future for to watch video content? Would you like to have more TOP earphones or headphones ? 
And overall impressions.

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 43
  So. What you can say about NatroSound? I mean, do you impressed? Do you like to watch movies, concerts? How do you think is NatroSound is a future for to watch video content? Would you like to have more TOP earphones or headphones ? 
And overall impressions.

Don't understand your last question.

I already said what I think about NatroSound, that it works. It makes the presentation smoother and more natural, so to speak. In that regard, I am impressed. However, it isn't like it is making a $200 IEM suddenly sounds like a $2000 one, or makes a pub's stage sounds like a grand theater. In that regard, I won't say it is a game changing feature to me. To be fair, I have been listening to stereo sound with earphone all my life and frankly quite used to that kind of presentation (*think 'brain burn-in' here). I would think NatroSound might be more impressive to those who used to listen to music with crossfeed, particularly those who find crossfeed a must.

Oct 22, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 43

Don't understand your last question.

I already said what I think about NatroSound, that it works. It makes the presentation smoother and more natural, so to speak. In that regard, I am impressed. However, it isn't like it is making a $200 IEM suddenly sounds like a $2000 one, or makes a pub's stage sounds like a grand theater. In that regard, I won't say it is a game changing feature to me. To be fair, I have been listening to stereo sound with earphone all my life and frankly quite used to that kind of presentation (*think 'brain burn-in' here). I would think NatroSound might be more impressive to those who used to listen to music with crossfeed, particularly those who find crossfeed a must.

In the last  question I had in mind that would you like to have CIEMS with NS or big HeadPhones with "top sound" like Lear BD4.2/Kaiser K10/JH Adel and etc...

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 43
  In the last  question I had in mind that would you like to have CIEMS with NS or big HeadPhones with "top sound" like Lear BD4.2/Kaiser K10/JH Adel and etc...

Sure, why not?

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #11 of 43

That's pretty much what I have said.

I have always valued your reviews and impressions on earphones and headphones, so I certainly appreciate your impressions here...  Can't wait until my NS-U1s arrive...  Hopefully LEARs supply will come in soon and shipments will start coming out to all us backers outside of Hong Kong and China...

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 43
Well, I was one of the original backers of the LEAR campaign to fund the development of the NS-U1; I paid HK $1210.00 (~$160 US, which also included shipping charge) prior to March 31, 2015.  I have been lucky enough to receive my pair.  I realize that others are still waiting to receive their IEMs, and I want to let you know that in my opinion, we have made a very good investment.  I pretty much agree with all that ClieOS has said about the NS-U1.  They are attractive and have the feel and appearance of classic IEMs.  They are solidly built and the cable appears to be very sturdy.  The shell is larger than most other IEMs I own, but I find them to be very comfortable to wear.  Due to the switch mechanism, we have essentially purchased two pairs of IEMs.  I very much prefer the NS-U1 ON setting, as it really adds life to my music.  The natural stereo effect, however, does depend a bit on your music source.  For example, it works very, very well on my Xuelin 960 dual-core, and very well with my Xuelin 770C, but the effect is less impressive with my Xuelin 800.  It seems to me that if your sources's sound quality is on the warm side, then you will appreciate the stereo effect more than if your player is more neutral in SQ.  In any event, the best analogy I can draw with the NS-U1 is my car stereo system.  I have a surround sound option for my car system; with the NS-U1 option off, then this is like my car system with the surround sound option off.  With the NS-U1 option on, this is similar to my car stereo using the surround sound on.  Using the NS-U1 IEMs with the NS option off, the music from my 960 seems to be in front of me only, with nice sound field width, but not much depth.  When the NS option is turned on, the music seems to bend around and surround you, and now you sense you are within the music, the sides fill in very nicely and the sound becomes warmer.  At first it almost comes across as if the sound is muddied a bit, but with further listening, this is not the case.  The vocals remain very well defined and the highs are well maintained.  The bass is brisk and well-balanced.  To be honest, I find the IEMs with the NS option off, to be missing a bit of bass, but if they had more bass in this setting, then the warmth in the NS on setting would probably be overwhelming.  The NS-U1 has replaced my previously preferred IEMs with my 960, and I am really enjoying them...

I do want to say that I think that Tatco Ma has done a wonderful job with this project.  Yes, he has experienced delays in the final production of the NS-U1's, but I can guarantee that this has bothered him as much or more than it has us.  He has consistently kept us up to date on the development and production of the NS-U1.  I feel he is a talented, honest businessman and I wish him continued success with LEAR.  In my opinion, he is an excellent example of what a crowd-funding campaigner should be...  Now, he does appear to be developing an alternative cable for the NS-U1 and I'm still looking forward to what he has to tell us about it.  But for the time being, I will be enjoying the current NS-U1 IEMs. 

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #13 of 43
Thanks for the impressions, jdog. I'm still anxiously waiting for my pair to ship. I'm just kind of surprised that there aren't more reviews for these, as I'm guessing at least couple hundred pairs should have been shipped already.

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #14 of 43
  Thanks for the impressions, jdog. I'm still anxiously waiting for my pair to ship. I'm just kind of surprised that there aren't more reviews for these, as I'm guessing at least couple hundred pairs should have been shipped already.

It will take a while for the NS-U1 to ship to other countries.

This is our Facebook Group for NS-U1 for discussion and updates:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NatroSound/
The group is Chinese based but you are welcome to share your thoughts or questions in English. Please feel free to join!

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #15 of 43
Here are some pictures of the LEAR NS-U1, comparing the shell size to some other IEMs.  I am truly enjoying the sound I am getting from the NS-U1s.  The more I listen to them, the more my other IEMs are sounding 2-dimensional.  I think the NS-U1s will only be getting better with the new cable that LEAR has developed for it.  Can't wait!  As a side note, I find I am getting the best sound out of my NS-U1s with Crystal memory foam tips.

Top: KZ ATE;  Right: TTPOD T1E;  Bottom: UE Trple fi 10;   Left: LEAR NS-U1.

Left: LEAR NS-U1;  Right: KZ ATE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back