Mobile browser not updating
Dec 12, 2014 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
It used to be just fine but recently I can't seem to browse HF properly on my Android smartphone (Xperia Z2, 4.4.4). It happens to both Chrome as well as Opera - basically, if I browse the forum normally, what I'll get are thread listing that are a few days old (and sometime a week old) instead of the latest. Refresh doesn't help. Seems to me the forum is feeding me a cached version rather than a current version of the forum. I can change the setting in Chrome to ask for 'request desktop site' and it will temporary fix the issue, until the next visit anyway.

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 13
  I had that on my G3 and just uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it. I don't think there's a way to delete the cache on the mobile browser.

I am willing to accept that it could have been a mobile browser problem, except it was fine until recent weeks and it suddenly happened to two different browser?  The funny thing is that, when I am using Opera and if I click on the right link (such as the forum link in PM box), I get the current list. If I were to click on the forum tab on top of every page however, I get an outdated list.

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 13
I have the same issue on my mobile(forum tab and sub updation), (and believe it or not) occasionally on my laptop too.

It's a lot more dire on my latop where I am only able to view an older forum/sub list which is obviously outdated.
Logging out and then logging in fixes it at times. Other times I have to clear all the browsing history and temp files for it to work.
I suspected adblock might be the cause but disabling all the extentions did not fix it.

The only think that works consistently is logging out, browsing around the forums and then logging in later. :/

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 13
This was also posted about in another thread, as pages repeatedly refreshing. 

It appears that due to a caching issue, presumably to do with methods to save bandwidth, that pages don't update as much as they should. I just loaded my messages on another computer which I hadn't used to browse Head-Fi for a week or two and got my messages page as it looked back then. Since I can't (as far as I know) clear the cache in Chrome on my phone, nor shift-reload pages, it makes it impossible for me to use that browser on Head-Fi for the most part.

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 13
Does this work?

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2392709?hl=en

I don't have access to an android device to test the Android side.

Yeah, it kinds of work for now. Will have to wait a few hours to try again and see if it holds up.

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 13
  Hi @getclikinagas - Could you try clearing your cache on both your mobile and laptop browsers then restart your browser?

If you're using Chrome, can you let me know if you're using Google Sync?

That does the trick at times. But sometimes when I log back in again, I'm presented with the old forum list. In these cases I have to use a system wide cleaner like CCleaner to restore normalcy.
Yes, I use Chrome; no, I do not use google sync.

This was also posted about in another thread, as pages repeatedly refreshing. 

It appears that due to a caching issue, presumably to do with methods to save bandwidth, that pages don't update as much as they should. I just loaded my messages on another computer which I hadn't used to browse Head-Fi for a week or two and got my messages page as it looked back then. Since I can't (as far as I know) clear the cache in Chrome on my phone, nor shift-reload pages, it makes it impossible for me to use that browser on Head-Fi for the most part.

I have had the refreshing pages issue. But that was not restricted to Head-fi.

I also use overclock.net which is uses Huddler, but I haven't had any issues like this so far. 

PS: In Android, you can clear your browser cache and data from the settings menu. Both, in and off the app.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #10 of 13

Yeah, it kinds of work for now. Will have to wait a few hours to try again and see if it holds up.

Back to the old problem again, with a roughly 9 hours delay, which is around the same time I clean up browser data. So this pretty has the same effect as 'request desktop site'.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #11 of 13
  I had that on my G3 and just uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it. I don't think there's a way to delete the cache on the mobile browser.

Yes, It happens the same to me like ClieOS mentioned with my Galaxy S3, the forums last posts time go all out of wack.

I've made a post in another thread on how I personally dealt with it.

(Not sure if its for everyone)

You need to delete and reinstall Chrome then prevent the (app) from ever auto-updating  (basically turn off your auto-updates for now)

This does work for me on both iOS and Android, I've not had the problem since, I do however need to update all my apps manually (which is a pain)

I don't use Opera so have no idea about that only Chrome.

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #12 of 13
Actually here, I have just reproduced the problem to show you guys.

My browser was working fine and has been for weeks now no problem with Head-fi.

1) Went to the google Playstore and accepted the Chrome update.

2) Go straight to the forums and bam they're messed up, the times are all out of wack.

3) Delete and reinstall Chrome (keeping in mind I leave updates off now)

Bam, back to normal and will remain that way until or if I ever update Chrome again.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back