New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
May 9, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #1,111 of 1,155
Hi there,

I'll be receiving my Dali io-12 pretty soon, and the anticipation is like waiting for Christmas! I'd like to know your opinion on the optimal connection method for my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra (+ Tidal as a source) to achieve the best possible sound quality with Io-12.

I have these three options in my head:

1) Bluetooth (in case I'm not at home) > Here Samsung stupidly doesn't support AptX HD nor Aptx Adaptive and on the other hand, LDAC is not supported on Dali's side so I already ordered USB BT Transmitter eppfun AK3040 Pro Max to fix that issue (not to stick with AAC or basic Apt X) >>> thus this option will allow the data stream of 576 kbps at least

2) Using classical analog audio cable with jacks on both sides + Samsung original usb-c to 3.5mm jack adapter

3) Direct usb cable connection with the phone ( usb-c <> usb-c cable) - here I am not sure what exactly to expect (the phone will be sending zeros and ones data packets from Tidal to Dali's DAC so no extra data manipulation from digital to analog thus the sound quality will be superior??) Here I am also not sure if the sound quality depends much on sound hardware used in S23U or it doesn't matter much as all is handled by io-12. I also red here that in this case the headphones will be sucking the energy from the phone noticeably (not a big deal for me).

All three options would be with the usage of active mode on Dalis

Or... should I consider purchasing dedicated DAP with high-end sound chips? (but I would prefer to use stuff that I already have)

At home I will be using audio cable plugged into my Fiio Amp setup + PC

Thanks for the tips!

May 11, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #1,113 of 1,155
Hi there,

I'll be receiving my Dali io-12 pretty soon, and the anticipation is like waiting for Christmas! I'd like to know your opinion on the optimal connection method for my Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra (+ Tidal as a source) to achieve the best possible sound quality with Io-12.

I have these three options in my head:

1) Bluetooth (in case I'm not at home) > Here Samsung stupidly doesn't support AptX HD nor Aptx Adaptive and on the other hand, LDAC is not supported on Dali's side so I already ordered USB BT Transmitter eppfun AK3040 Pro Max to fix that issue (not to stick with AAC or basic Apt X) >>> thus this option will allow the data stream of 576 kbps at least

2) Using classical analog audio cable with jacks on both sides + Samsung original usb-c to 3.5mm jack adapter

3) Direct usb cable connection with the phone ( usb-c <> usb-c cable) - here I am not sure what exactly to expect (the phone will be sending zeros and ones data packets from Tidal to Dali's DAC so no extra data manipulation from digital to analog thus the sound quality will be superior??) Here I am also not sure if the sound quality depends much on sound hardware used in S23U or it doesn't matter much as all is handled by io-12. I also red here that in this case the headphones will be sucking the energy from the phone noticeably (not a big deal for me).

All three options would be with the usage of active mode on Dalis

Or... should I consider purchasing dedicated DAP with high-end sound chips? (but I would prefer to use stuff that I already have)

At home I will be using audio cable plugged into my Fiio Amp setup + PC

Thanks for the tips!

Dali with USB-C plugged in and ANC off is the best sound quality, but Bluetooth alone (APTX HD) is nothing to sneeze at.

If you have a phone with USB-C out, it should be fine. Dali's internal DAC is top notch. Dali's USB-C charge will take battery from your phone and keep it (the headphone) constantly charged. A solution may be a USB-C passthrough that allows charging.

I ended up buying an affordable DAP because I like to not have my phone drained. You can find second hand DAPs at very affordable prices in the Classified section. It would solve your issue of lack of APT-X support from the Samsung side, and you can then start sourcing FLAC files online.

May 11, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #1,115 of 1,155
May 12, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #1,116 of 1,155
Thanks Angelom. I've been trying to talk myself out of picking up the Solitaire T again. Seeing new reviews reminding me how great my Dali iO-12 is helps LOL.

Nothing better in marketing like increasing the price of a product for generating more interest (the Solitaire T from 1300 EUR to 1400 EUR in Europe and from 1600 USD to 1700 USD in USA).

:)

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #1,117 of 1,155
Hi,
I hear that Dali IO 12 is perhaps the most spacious-sounding wireless Bluetooth headphone available - wide soundstage etc,. Does anyone have experience with the
Hifiman Ananda bt? This is an Open back headphone that does not have Noice canceling therefore, it is hard to find any real/good one-to-one comparison on the web with IO 12 or with any similar class wireless headphone.
I'm a big fan of the IO 12 but haven't heard it myself. I own a Focal Bathys which is a great, very upfront-sounding headphone with a great level of resolution but for my taste, it lacks a bit of soundstage. Then again you can't expect a wide soundstage from a close-back noise canceling headphones. This is why the Ananda Bt is interesting.
Any experience or thoughts are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

May 12, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #1,118 of 1,155
I take exception with the characterization that they are large, heavy and not portable… I get that they are large. But really the way they are built. The weight is distributed very well on your head and the pads are large enough to make them super light when they are on. I think they are super portable.
I agree. Thought that was strange. They’re totally portable. I do agree with everything else she says however. In fact I generally like her headphone reviews.

May 12, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #1,119 of 1,155
Do these still sound good with "plain jane" Aptx codec...or do they need the Adaptive version that Samsung in their infinite wisdom refuses to include on their phones? They have their own solution (SSC) they think everyone's going to follow and yet no one has heard of-- so we're locked out of the rest. No AptX HD, Lossless, or Adaptive in their "modern" phones...thanks for screwing us over Samsung!

May 12, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #1,120 of 1,155
Do these still sound good with "plain jane" Aptx codec...or do they need the Adaptive version that Samsung in their infinite wisdom refuses to include on their phones? They have their own solution (SSC) they think everyone's going to follow and yet no one has heard of-- so we're locked out of the rest. No AptX HD, Lossless, or Adaptive in their "modern" phones...thanks for screwing us over Samsung!
I mean, I just listen to them plain Bluetooth connection ANC on from my iPhone using Apple Music lossless and they are fantastic. Amazing. Best ANC cans you can buy.

May 12, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #1,121 of 1,155
So even the regular "SBC" codec sounds good on these headphones? That's quite accompliment if that's the case.. I have some of the best wired headphones on the planet but still looking for a good pair of Bluetooth for the convenience.

May 12, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #1,122 of 1,155
This reviewer has gripes, but the wrong gripes in my opinion…

https://musictech.com/reviews/consumer/dali-io-12-audiophile-headphones-review/

AptX adaptive and lossless are inaudible to human hearing…so that’s not a con. Plus this reviewer also says they aren’t portable. That’s not necessarily true. But oddly enough they list the battery as a pro? The battery at 35 hours (for the price of these) is a con, especially when you have the momentum sitting at 60 hours, the Shure aonic gen 2 at 45 hours, the Marshall at 100 hours and the soon to come noble audio Apollo at 80.

May 13, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #1,123 of 1,155
This reviewer has gripes, but the wrong gripes in my opinion…

https://musictech.com/reviews/consumer/dali-io-12-audiophile-headphones-review/

AptX adaptive and lossless are inaudible to human hearing…so that’s not a con. Plus this reviewer also says they aren’t portable. That’s not necessarily true. But oddly enough they list the battery as a pro? The battery at 35 hours (for the price of these) is a con, especially when you have the momentum sitting at 60 hours, the Shure aonic gen 2 at 45 hours, the Marshall at 100 hours and the soon to come noble audio Apollo at 80.
To me, there are a couple of things that I find annoying about this review. The harping on spatial audio seems odd to me… Nobody has an agreed-upon standard yet for that and so until they do, I find it to be a gimmick. If we’re going for the best sound, it certainly not with spatial audio, Apple does a good job but then again it’s only on very specific mixes. If I want to be developed by sound and, they do note that in the review… Then I don’t need the gimmick of spatial audio.

I also don’t understand the con of open back design… These are most definitely closed back headphones. What in the world are they talking about with that? The sound doesn’t leak more than any other pair of headphones I have that are closed back.

May 13, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #1,124 of 1,155
AptX adaptive and lossless are inaudible to human hearing…so that’s not a con

I definitely don't agree with this... In fact it's the only way that Bluetooth gets anywhere close to directly wired. Since Samsung in their infinite wisdom dumps all the newest & best AptX codecs to try to push their crappy proprietary one, you have to get a little "creative" to get these advanced codecs on their phone.

** On Soapbox*
Hey Samsung... No one wants your crappy proprietary SSC code...so you might want to start offering the more universal ones in your newest phones. For that matter, how about quit taking advantage of the lack of competition in the US and start innovating for once-- like finally getting rid of that ridiculous foldable crease that hasn't changed in 4 model years?
** OFF Soapbox**

In the interim, you need to literally get Creative as in something like this to get the preferred AptX Adaptive (automatic selection of AptX, AptX HD AptX LL) which Samsung just refuses to offer...so I just ordered it. Their website direct is $20 less than even Amazon... now I should be ready to take advantage of the most these headphones can offer.
https://us.creative.com/p/accessories/creative-bt-w5

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #1,125 of 1,155
To me, there are a couple of things that I find annoying about this review. The harping on spatial audio seems odd to me… Nobody has an agreed-upon standard yet for that and so until they do, I find it to be a gimmick. If we’re going for the best sound, it certainly not with spatial audio, Apple does a good job but then again it’s only on very specific mixes. If I want to be developed by sound and, they do note that in the review… Then I don’t need the gimmick of spatial audio.

I also don’t understand the con of open back design… These are most definitely closed back headphones. What in the world are they talking about with that? The sound doesn’t leak more than any other pair of headphones I have that are closed back.
That too. I laughed at the Spatial Audio comment. The io-12 (or any good headphone…BT or not) is spatial enough naturally. It doesn’t need a software gimmick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back